Roasted Corn And Black Bean Salad
Cinco De Mayo is only a couple of days away. That means yummy Mexican food and Margaritas to celebrate!
I created this salad as a side dish to go along with tacos and other Mexican favorites but it can easily be served as a light meal.
The salad, itself, looks like a fiesta in a bowl. And is a light and refreshing change from the more traditional beans and rice.
I roasted the peppers and onions in this dish to give them a little sweetness and to mellow the onion so that it does not overpower the dish.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 1 package frozen fire roasted corn, thawed (I used trader joes brand)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium red onion, julienne
- 6 mini sweet peppers or 1 large red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Place julienne peppers, onion and minced garlic in a bowl and toss with about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan in a single layer and roast in a 425 degree oven 8-10 minutes and then let cool. meanwhile place thawed corn, black beans, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl. in another bowl whisk together oil, lime juice vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. Add cooled peppers and onions to corn mixture. Pour dressing over all and toss to coat. adjust salt and pepper to desired taste.